Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Reading Mojo

Ever since I can remember, I have been a reader. My mom claims it is because she began reading to me when I was still in the womb. From the time I was little I can remember hiding under the blankets with a flashlight, reading Nancy Drew novels or Girl Talk books. Flash forward to 2012 and almost 30 years old, and I'm still doing a version of that - reading by the light of my backlit Nook while Drew and one or both of the girls snoozes beside me. I always have a novel on the go and in my purse (what if the doctor is taking too long to see me? What if a child falls asleep in the car when we're almost home and I need something to do while I'm parked waiting for them to wake up?)
That being said, I don't always have the time to read as much as I want, and sometimes when things are really busy - like during the school year when a pile of marking needs to get done, or like last week when it seemed like there was never someone not puking in this house - reading just doesn't happen. Sometimes my desire to read at all mysteriously disappears for a bit, such as when I was pregnant with both girls.
It always comes back though
I must say my reading mojo is currently well in tact. I don't know if it's because it is summer, or if it's because I have the time at night and during nap times or if it's just a weird coincidence, but I cannot get enough of my books. During one of those mysterious times when I didn't feel like reading anything, I set my goal to read 25 books this year. Last year it was 50 - I believe I made it through 48 books - not bad for a full time mom and teacher. So far, according to Goodreads, I am 3 books ahead. I think I'll make it to my goal this year.
Book Challenge Spreadsheet
So what am I reading these days? It's a smattering of things. I finished the most recent books in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series. I had to read the Fifty Shades books just to see what the fuss was about (what was the fuss??) but I've only made it through the second book.  I have recently fallen into a love affair with Elin Hilderbrand's easy, beachy books. They are all set on Nantucket island and for some reason her characters just stick with me when I'm not reading the book and even after I'm done. My goal is to work my way through all of her books by the end of summer...which might be hard to do considering I am working on a book challenge, and they won't all go with a task.
I'm also trying to up the amount of French I am reading to keep my skills up. I used some of my Scholastic dollars to buy some teeny bopper French novels which I will later add to my classroom library when I return to work.
In just over a month I will be beginning my Masters which I am assuming will entail a whole lot of dry, boring reading. Between that and the assignments, my reading-for-pleasure time will significantly decrease so I figure I better enjoy it while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment