I had always contemplated making my own baby food. Since I didn't know the first thing about it, I approached it the same way as I approached breastfeeding - I'd try it and if it worked out then great, if not then at least there were alternatives!
Turns out it's not so hard. A few weeks ago, when we first started solids, I kind of played around with making it. If I felt like feeding her sweet potato, then I'd just cook one that same day, or I'd puree up a banana a few minutes before meal time. None of it it was overly hard so I decided to grab some veggies from the store and really start making some batches so I'd have some ready to go whenever. It's so much cheaper and I feel a lot better feeding her something I prepared myself. Like breastfeeding - I don't necessarily know where the solid food is coming from like BF'ing, but at least I know who prepared it and that only my TLC went into making it. Of course I'm not against giving her the jarred stuff, especially the foods that are a little too complicated for me to make, but for the most part I'm going to try and go the homemade route.
There are really only three things you need to make your own baby food. Number one is a great resource. You don't need to go out and buy a book, either. I found a website called www.wholesomebabyfoods.com. Not only does it have a ton of recipes but it also has guides about when to introduce certain foods, etc. Finally some kind of storage for the food so you can freeze it in small quantities. My generous mother was kind enough to buy these storage containers for me. They have little snappy lids on them and you can stack them. You could also use an ice cube tray and then pop them out and into a freezer bag, as well. Whatever works.
I'm so glad I decided to make the majority of my baby food. It really makes me feel good to do this for Madi. And because I will be weaning her from breastfeeding soon, it makes me feel like I still have a hand in her nutrition.

I've been freezing in ice cube trays, but I'm thinking now that Ann Marie is eating more I should try something bigger. We're up to 2-3 cubes per meal. Do you get much waste with that size?
ReplyDeleteWow, I just started rice cereal for my little one this week. I'm thinking about starting other foods next month, so I'll have to check out that website. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteI made all of my little ones food until she hit a year old. Williams Sonoma sells these wonderful baby food trays. They are made out of silicone and are 1 oz portions, which are a perfect size (bigger than ice cube trays). They are pricey ($20) but I only bought one, and I just freeze, pop them out and store in a baggy and then wash and re-use. It's so worth it to make their own food, and so cost effective.
ReplyDelete