Friday, May 11, 2012

Two is No Joke

I knew having two kids would be busy and a little difficult and fortunately I haven't really had to experience that reality yet.

We decided a long time ago that Madi would continue going to her sitter's house until the end of the school year for multiple reasons. First, I didn't really expect to get pregnant and have a baby before the end of this school year, so it was only fair to keep sending her so that her sitter continued to be paid. Secondly, the newborn days are the biggest adjustment so it gives Mya and I time to get into a good rhythm. Also, between c-section recovery, less sleep and breastfeeding, Madi has so much more fun with her little friend than she does home with me at this point. And since Drew is home on the weekends or someone like my mom is always around to help me out, the only real time that I've had alone with two is for the hour or so after I pick Madi up and before Drew gets home.

That changed yesterday when Madi's sitter's daughter got sick and I picked her up early in the morning and kept her home today, as well.

So, how did it go? Not as bad as I expected, but definitely not as easy as with one child. The worst struggle was in my mind, constantly feeling guilty about the attention and play time that I couldn't give to Madi because I had to feed or change Mya, or rock her to  sleep. I got tired of hearing my own voice saying "Madi, don't do that to the blinds. Madi, get out of the fridge, Madi don't be so rough with Khloe." Of course, that set off a whole new level of guilt.

Luckily, at some point during the morning, I had the ingenious idea to introduce Madi to the Wii. I knew that the games in Wii Fit would be right up my active toddler's alley, so we spent a hilarious couple of hours testing out which games she could (kind of) grasp. I was able to direct her and control the Wii with the remote while simultaneously bouncing/feeding Mya. Bonus? It helped tire her out for nap time!

Which was probably the second hardest part of having two home. Naptime went a little something like this:

  • Tried laying down with Madi and Mya. Madi just wanted to snuggle and coo over Mya, then Mya got fussy so I went to feed her and  told Madi I'd be right back. 
  • Got Mya to sleep then went in to lay down with Madi. 
  • Madi was just falling asleep when I heard Mya starting to fuss. Waited a few minutes then got up to go get Mya but I got caught on the windows shade and the light shone on Madi. She wakes up enough to ask me what I'm doing but thankfully went right back to sleep. 
  • Rocked Mya back to sleep. 
  • Mya slept for an hour; Madi slept for an hour and a half. 
So, what did I do day 2 with 2? Errands. With my brother. Surprisingly easier than spending all day at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment