Sunday, April 11, 2010

\ˈfam-lē

In preparation for this post I decided to look up the definition of "family" in the dictionary. The following is what http://www.merriam-webster.com/ gave me:


1 : a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : household
2 a : a group of persons of common ancestry : clan b : a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock : race
3 a : a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : fellowship b : the staff of a high official (as the President)



As I read through them, none of them ring true for what I have experienced in my life time, and especially in the last several months. While true, they seem so formal and official. So I decided to throw this question out there to some real, live people. The following are some responses I received:


"Family is anyone that helps you out during the rough times, even if it's just keeping you company. They have advice and sometimes give it whether you want it or not. They sometimes aren't even related to you at all. You're born with a family then you create your own later in life." -kimilane


 "Family are the people (not necessarily blood related) who love, respect, and support you thru the thick and thin." -hreisen4


And while these are the definitions of real people, and those defintions apply to those real people, I ultimately came to realize that I need to come up with my own definition of family. Because as much as it is a universal term, it also has it's own unique meaning to the family in question.


What I've come to realize is that it is a living term and extremely hard to define. It's constantly changing as my life changes. In the past it has meant love. protection. education. support. But in the past they have all been of me. And while I still have a family who loves me, protects me, educates me and supports me, among many other things, now I am the one who loves, who protects, who must educate and support.


No matter how I, or anyone else, defines it I am so happy and thankful to have my own little family. And I think it's pretty precious, don't you?









2 comments:

  1. Oh Lindz - beautiful happy loving pictures, I can't get over how wonderful they turned out!

    ~H

    ReplyDelete