Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sweet Dreams & Sucker Punches

So last night Drew decided to stay overnight in Freddy. Mom graciously came up to keep me company and of course the puppy decided he needed a change of scenery and went to bed with her instead of me. This left me alone with one big, empty bed. I'm not a fan of this.


Thing is, sometimes, after Madi is put to bed, I miss her. Even though I love those few hours to myself & Drew each night, sometimes all I want to do is snuggle her. I figure tonight is as good a night as any to act on this and have a Mama-Madi slepover. So after watching the newest episode of 16 & Pregnant (if you know me at all you know my penchant for trashy television) I turn off the movement monitor and stealthily sneak into Madi's room. I gently lift her from her crib and she burrows her sleepy head into my shoulder as we walk into my room. We lay down and Madi is just as asleep as when I went in to get her. It takes me a few minutes to fall asleep because by the soft glow of the nightlight she is just too precious for words. I don't know what it is but she just looks different when she is asleep. So pretty, so peaceful. And then there are just no words for when she smiles that deep-sleep smile. I have no idea what she is dreaming about to cause this smile but I like to think it's me! So it is like this that I drift off to sleep.


At 2:30am she wakes up but that's no problem - one of the perks of nursing + a sleepover is she can eat and I can go right back to sleep while she does so. And usually she falls asleep this way within a few minutes, and this time is no exception.


At 5am I get another wake up call. I figure this won't be a problem. We'll repeat the 2:30 show and drift off to dreamland again. This is where my plans and Madi's plans differ. Someone decides it's time to party. And party she did. She danced and flailed and cooed and laughed for two.straight.hours. And while I was trying to cuddle, snuggle and nurse her into sedation, her early morning dance moves only resulted in me being scratched, hit and punched.
So I guess my lesson has been learned. Madi made it quite clear that if we're having a slumber party, then we are going to PARTY. So from now on Madi will be sleeping where she belongs. I did enjoy it while it lasted, though.

1 comment:

  1. some how came across your lovely little blog. It's hard not to snuggle with the baby at night...I know. lol
    cute baby & blog

    ReplyDelete