Friday, April 23, 2010

Not on Solid Ground

Oh solids.
I was so excited to start solids. As I posted a few weeks ago, I lovingly picked out bowls, utensils and Madi's first box of rice cereal. I had visions of Madi in her high chair at the dining room table, me sitting in front of her, daintily spooning just the right amount of cereal onto the spoon, and then carefully bringing it to her mouth. She would open wide, take it in, swallow and look at me with those beautiful blues saying: "this stuff is delicious! Thank you for introducing it to me, Best Mama in the World!" 
Yeah, you saw the video. It didn't go that way.
But we sauntered on. We gave it to her two more times. The second time being the worst and the third time the best. None anything that I would consider a success.
Then I decided to move on to avocado. After discovering that avocado is, in fact, a fruit, I thought this would be a good one to start with. Not too sweet like traditional fruit, not too "uck" like vegetables. I excitedly cut the avocado in half, scooped out the "meat" and put it in the mini food processor. I added some breast milk to get it to the "right consistency." I pressed the button. And pressed. And pressed. But wait. Why is it so chunky? I did the best I could and plopped the concoction in to her bowl. It went a little something like this:

We tried it the next night, as well. It went just as well...er, well it went. And came. It came out exactly as it went in. Does the stuff not digest at all? Momma fail. Next time I will wait for the avocado to be a little more ripe.


On to sweet potato. I was convinced that sweet potato was where it was at. And this time I had a little more luck with my home made venture. I baked it, scooped it out and pureed it into a palatable texture. This had to go better than avocado. And it did. She's still not totally sure of this solid food thing but she's getting there:

So after sweet potato, I figured I'd give the veggies a go tonight. I stopped at the Pumpkin Patch on the way home and stocked up on peas, green beans, squash and carrots. So I peeled, chopped and steamed the carrots. Except I didn't have enough water in the pot and it boiled dry...or caramelized. Or some substance that I had to scrape off the bottom. But by that time I figured the carrots were tender enough to puree. So I toss them in the food processor with some water and press P. Yes, this looks right I think to myself. Until I take a bite and realize it still tastes chunky. But teeny, tiny chunks. I toss in some more water but this is the best it's going to get. So I scoop some into those lovely bowls, get one of Madi's cute spoons and so we start the carrot adventure. Do you see more coming out than going in? I do.

::Sigh:: 
So solids aren't going as well as I had envisioned. But I'll keep trucking. I find comfort in the fact that wholesomebabyfoods.com says that it takes between 15-21 times before a baby develops a true like or dislike for a food. I'm hoping that sometime between now and time 21 I will figure out how to properly make my own baby food.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! Keep trying! She'll get it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you there. I thought it he would automatically open his little mouth and take it and smile and say ta-ta (thank you, mommy). But nooo, he squirmed and quibbled, of course. haha.
    But I agree, keep trying..surely, madi will get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete